View Single Post
Old 12-13-2004, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Default Restoring cards vs restoring photos

Posted By: Scott

Hey Bill - a suggestion. If "I" start a thread, can I make rules regarding that particular thread? ...like, you can't mention the "K" photo in this thread?

Seriously, I'm really curious about how people feel about this topic, but I don't want to get back into a fight over a particular item, auction house integrity, etc.

Most collectors seem to be adamantly against card restoration, with the exception of the Darby Chocolates Cobb and Andy's "Just So" Burkett...remember, I said "most".

But what is the thought on non-slabbable cabinet card photos? I have seen some of you pay thousands for really beat-up team cabinets that I wouldn't own unless I could restore them for a reasonable amount, but you seem very pleased with the purchases. At least one of you said that you would display your cabinet with the beat-up border exposed. I'm not asking whether restoration should be divulged when selling (not looking for a fight), but rather your opinion as to whether or not it should even be done.

...late thought - I also remember discussing a Peck & Snyder Cincinnati team "card" that had been restored and sold at auction - was the price realized lower than if it had been left alone? If so, was that because there were several unrestored ones that are known to exist? i.e, would a restored "Just So" Burkett be worth less than an unrestored one if such multiple copies existed? ...yes, I'm basically off for the holidays, but I'll be good.