View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Default Favorite National?

Posted By: Rich Klein

Having attended every National since 1983, here are some quick highlights.

Set up on a 1/2 Table in 1983, took in a ton of $$ for such a small space -- in addition, that Friday of the National may have been my favorite dealer day as there was never a break all day long. And the day went from like 9 am to 9 PM. That night, in the bar, I sat in on the meeting that helped to draft the initial National Convention Rules. (That included the no contiguous states and 400 mile rule)

1984 -- Parsipanny. 1st National I had my own table(s) at. Only 20 minutes from home so drove home each night. Had a jacket in the car because of the Aspen's rule of wearing a jacket in some of their lounges.

1985 -- Anaheim. Found out while I was there, that the job I had when I left would no longer exist when I got back to Jersey.

1989-- Chicago. My lord, what an awesome show. Bruce and Bonita Paynter did a wonderful job doing local promotion. The hobby was hot. We were busy from the time we opened till we shut down the booth at 2 PM Sunday Afternoon.

1990 -- Arlington. After the National, the next day while totally drained, I interviewed at Beckett Publications for a price guide analyst position. Still here

1991 -- Anaheim. 1st National attended NOT as a dealer. Tuesday promo night was the ONLY time I have ever been afraid for my life at a show.

Those are some quick highlights. I'll be happy to discuss more memories later

Rich