View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 11:25 PM
Bill Boyd

Butch,
Mine was not a dice baseball game, but an ordinary deck of cards. I figured all spades were hits and 13 out of 52 was a 250 batting average. Ace was a home run, King was a home run if the player was a 20 HR hitter the year before, otherwise the King was a triple. Queens and Jacks were doubles. The Queen, everyone scored, but the Jack, the runners only advanced 2 bases. Tens and nines were singles with runners advancing two bases, the rest were straight singles.
I had two or three walk cards and four strikeout cards , but I do not recall which I used. DP cards and the Aces of Diamonds, Clubs and Hearts were Sac flies. To raise the batting averages somewhat, I removed several of the playing cards. About every card had a meaning, Ground out, pop up, fly out,
With each play, I would shuffle the cards, so there could be a chance for the same card coming up twice in a row.
I do not remember what all the cards meant, as that was a long time ago.
I know there were other meanings.
For teams, (and here is where the rubber bands came in), I would start when I had enough players to have about 4 to six teams. I would sort the players by position and deal them out evenly to each team, but often there were players left over. When I was done with all the positions, I would deal the left over players out to the teams evenly. Once I had my teams, the rubber bands kept them seperate.
When I was about nine or ten, I remember I had over 300 AB for the starters. I kept all the stats, ERA and BA, RBIs, pitching stats as well. and kept up on who were the leaders of those stats.
The leaders were not your everyday players, I believe it was Dick Schoefield who was the HR leader. And yes, I would bench players who were not hitting.
I remember getting a cards game similar to that game. It only had about 10 or 12 cards, "base Hit", double, triple, HR, fly out, ground out, sac. Hit, Double play, Strikeout, and walk. That is the ones I remember, and that would have been in the latter 1950s.
I played that game for several years. Used up many decks of cards.