View Single Post
Old 07-03-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Take it out of the scratched up case. Then smell it and feel it. Does it feel antique or modern?
To me, the card it too centered, the borders are too clean, and the edges look untouched. It would be like a PSA 6. So would the guy you're buying it from have a $20K card? I would be very worried. Make a deal that you send it to PSA/BGS and if it gets an AUTH or number grade, you will pay him $2K or whatever. Otherwise you get a full refund, but you eat the grading fee.

Addition: doesn't seem to have the pixelation I would expect from an original 1951 Bowman. Look at this one to compare. Also, it seems like Mantle has a sunburn. Are you in Dallas right now? Could you drop by Beckett with the guy and get it validated in person?

1951 Bowman - [Base] #253 - Mickey Mantle [BVG*2]
Courtesy of COMC.com
The card is not in my direct possession and it is not local. It's within reasonable driving distance from here for that card.

I'd definitely do that deal, but I'm not sure that person would do it.

Guy is asking for $4k so it's not an astronomical #, but also not so low that it's too good to be true. If I looked at the card through my loupe and felt it, I could probably tell if it's legit or not. Without that, I feel it's pretty difficult to tell. I'm just trying to see if it's worth investing the time/effort to drive and investigate further.

Ask me about discounted BGS/BVG pricing for Net54 Members!