Thread: REA Gary Cooper
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
no opinion on the sig, but i have to agree with rhys. going by family member's account or memory can be an iffy proposition. unless she was the curator or cataloger for her dad's collection, her account is just one piece to the puzzle and not the be all end all to the discussion.
So if you can't prove that something is bad, it must be good. And negative provenance from family members can't be used? Forgers all over the world are making a great living based on collectors who use that logic.

Think about it - this should make you kind of sick: A good forger is sitting in a coffee shop, creating a signed item. When he's done, he can send it to a TPA and probably have a good chance of getting it authenticated. Then he sells it to someone who is unscrupulous, but who has a good imagination and no integrity.

Now all he needs is an auction house that relies on the expertise of the said TPA (and certainly could not care less what people on an internet forum have to say), and two bidders who want the said autograph, and who put all of their faith in TPAs as well.

Job done.

Could I get a refill please? ...and could I borrow a pen? cha-ching

(edited to remove 'Ruth' references, as you can't get the required pen at a coffee shop)

Last edited by Runscott; 04-30-2013 at 11:05 AM.