View Single Post
Old 09-18-2015, 10:12 AM
John

Thanks Ty - appreciate it!

Great points - by modern thinking, all the teams would be passing a lot, so I think it helped that I gave each coach their own philosophy - Lambeau would have no problem bombing away to Hutson for example and Clark may only throw a handful of times each game.

In terms of rules, I think I’ll just assume 1939 rules to be safe. Before 33, I think you had to be 5 or more yards behind the line of scrimmage to throw a pass and an incomplete pass in the end zone was a safety. So that’s at least two rules to discourage passing that I won't make this league deal with. Plus the ball was fat, although I believe they had made it more aerodynamic in 39 than it was in 29 at some point along the way (not sure which year). Finally, Baugh was a rookie in 37 and he’s mentioned he would get walloped pretty good well after releasing the pass, so that should mean you won’t see even the best passing teams in this league throwing it as much as they do now - I'm not sure when we first saw rules to protect the QB, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the 30s.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 09-18-2015 at 10:15 AM.