View Single Post
Old 07-30-2016, 07:57 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Yes.. .at first I was disappointed(for selfish reasons) as I wanted to own as many as I could afford and really wanted to own a Ruth AND Gehrig for my collection.
After the initial disappointment, I was relieved as it really does all need to stay together for historical purpose and cataloguing. Conlon is the backbone of baseball photography\imagry.
I would hate to see it split up like the Burke negatives. All of that Burke history lost/scattered and sold for peanuts/blown out. The burke negatives really could have helped grow the hobby as they were all numbered.. collectible. Almost like a baseball card set imo. Had great potential.
The former owner of these two archives really messed things up. Thank goodness these Conlons stayed in tact!!
My sentiments exactly! While the break-up of the Burke/Brace archive enabled me to pick up a lot of their original negatives and further my research, it sickens me how that while deal went down and that the original concentration of visual history is now scattered to the winds. The fact that Mary Brace got screwed over in the deal too is an added downer.

Hopefully whoever winds up with the Conlon archive will make the images publicly viewable and enjoyable in process of making them profitable, as Rogers did for a time when he had the Conlon archive online. Unfortunately he never did the same thing with the Burke/Brace archive, so we'll probably never know what/who all was in there.