Thread: Anyone Garden?
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 06:52 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggary View Post
Thanks Ben for the cherry tomato seeds that you sent out to me months ago. The tomatoes are delicious. Is there anything I have to do besides dry out a few of the tomatoes to get seeds to plant next year?
Harvesting seeds is not as easy as drying out a tomato. Here is how I do it and have had great luck.

Cut a few in half and squeeze the slime/seed combo out into a small steel screened strainer. Then rinse as much of the slime off the seeds as possible with just the water flow from your sink faucet. Then take the remaining seeds/goo and put it in a glass or plastic glass. Add around 1/2 cup of purified or spring water. Do not use tap water because of the chemicals in it. Now cover the top of the glass with a paper towel and hold it on with a rubber band. Sit it someplace out of direct sun light for around 5-7 days. It will mold over and stink a little. It needs to do this to get the seeds to separate from the goo. Then get the strainer out again and rinse all the nasty stuff off the seeds. Now spread the seeds out on a double layer of paper towels. Let them sit for a few days to completely dry. Now you have seeds to plant next year. This only works with heirloom seeds, the seeds I sent to everyone are an heirloom variety. If done with hybrids there is no way of knowing what type of tomato grow from the seeds.