View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Default 1951 Topps Magic

Posted By: Mike

Fred,

Thank You!! Yes, "Crazing" ... I knew there was a more appropriate word for it, but I couldn't think of it. (it was bugging me too ... tip of the tounge thing).

Anyway, the crazing seems to be the biggest killer of getting NM's or better when you grade them. Also, unfortunately, the scratched backs will usually keep them in PSA 6's holders. I've seen a few exceptions, but not many. I think the graders are still trying to get a handle on how to consistanly grade these cards, as I've been getting back grades that seem to conflict with prior submissions.

As for the perf stubs, I'm really not sure why some have them and others don't? I use to think that the ones without the stubs had been trimmed, but as I'm seeing more and more of them surface, I'm guessing that they were just distributed several different ways. Some must have been traditionally sheet cut while others were perf cut, and maybe distributed in some type of panels? I've heard 2-up from several people, but I still haven't seen one to confirm it.

I've also noticed what looks like 2 different types of perf cuts, so the panels may have been laid out in different configurations, or distributed in different 2-up / 4-up type quantities? One has about 7 touch points along the bottom, and maybe 3 on the top. While the other has more of a straight ----------- perf look along the bottom. Maybe there was two seperate print runs, or maybe a blade change during the perf run? I really don't know, and unfortunately, I still have more questions than answers.

Speaking of which, I couldn't tell by your statement above (Fred) ... did you personally pull those cards out of packs? If so, do you remember how many cards came in a pack, and did it include gum? BTW, nice looking cards!

Hopefully, some collectors with more experience than me will chime in on this thread and answer some of these questions I have.

Either way, I'm glad to see it start to gain some interest ever since PSA finally decided to include them in the SMR price guide.

Now, if we could just get them to recognize (and grade) the 1948-52 (W-468) Football Exhibit cards, we'd have another great vintage set to play with!

Mike