View Single Post
Old 12-19-2019, 12:42 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Fake as f***. Without even seeing the card in person I can tell you three things about it:

1. ESCO never made minis of its 1925 cards, nor did anyone else do so. The only ESCO minis ever made were strips made from the PC back set (W517, W517 mini, and a very rare series of ten card horizontal strips). That's it. What you have there doesn't match with anything else ever seen. The odds of that happening and it being a 1925 Gehrig are, well, slim to none with slim leaving the building as we speak.

2. There is a seller at the National every year who has a number of these sorts of smaller versions of larger cards with various typed or printed attributions on the backs. All are rare/expensive cards of superstars and all are fakes.

3. A close look at the 'card' will show that it is made from a scan downloaded from an auction site, printed, and artificially aged. I found a great example of one at the National and bought it as a novelty:

It is really well done as a card of JJ's Fatima poster and way fun to have but it won't fool anyone with any understanding of vintage cards.

I posted the Jackson information in the other thread you started on the issue yesterday and that was the end of that thread. Now, you've started another thread asking the same thing and posted the card in a BST thread in reply to someone looking to buy a genuine Gehrig RC. That suggests that you are less interested in an answer than in trying to find someone who will agree with you and validate your belief that you have a unique Gehrig rookie card, and perhaps offer you Gehrig RC pricing for it.

The skepticism here is not personal and not unreasonable. Characterizing it as otherwise is an effort to deflect the actual and valid critique of your item. You asked, people answered.

There are at least two other collectors on here who are as well versed in Exhibit cards as I am, probably even better. If one of them chimes in and has something different to say, I'd love to hear it. I suspect, though, that you just got taken for a ride on a very nicely made fake. Sorry.

If you want to learn more about Exhibit cards than any reasonable person should:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/adam-warsha...-23637151.html

[shameless plug]

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-19-2019 at 01:18 PM.