View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 07:12 AM

Default Great subject!

I have 3 young boys that are 9, 8 and 6. I collect a little bit of everything from the 1910's to the present, but it took a while to figure out what would interest the kids. They became Red Sox fans first, and they each developed favorite players: Pedroia and Varitek. So I got them each an album and started them off with a few of each player. I then explained to them how when I was younger I would try to collect every Carl Yastrzemski card I could find, and showed them my boyhood Yaz collection. They thought that was very cool and decided to try to get as many different cards of their favorite player as possible.

Now I take them to shows and give them a few bucks, and they go seeking out Pedroia's and Varitek's. Thanks to them, I am now trying to fill in missing pieces of my childhood Yaz collection! I'm hoping someday they will develop a taste for the older cards, and I can pass some of my goodies on to them. If not, then I still will cherish the time when we were all looking to add new cards of our favorite player to our collection.