View Single Post
Old 09-24-2004, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Default Yeah about $100 dollars..about $100 dollars yeah.

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I too have (and continue to) overpay by a ton when something I have been looking for becomes available. But these are not impulse purchases, I think, as much as they are the completion of a quest.

Let me cite one example: (will I admit this? yes.) I paid >$600 for a Blue Ruth W517 portrait - I think it was a 5. The blue color was the key. I have not seen one since. But other colors of the same card and quality go for half or less of that price.

And that is also the key. I may overpay in proportion to the length of time I have been seasrching for a specific card.

Ahh ha! A free investment tip? Sure.

The State of NJ is manufacturing baseball cards called the Living Legends Set. Each $2. card contains three players portrayed in the style of the 1938 Goudeys (that is: a photo type face situated on a caricature body).

The point here is that essentially none of these cards will survive in Mint condition. So you have virtual certain, short term grade rarity. These cards are also scratch off lottery tickets. That is why they will experience the anticipated grade attrition. Significant upside potential, and if you change your mind about this investment - just scratch 'em off - even more upside, if you feel lucky!

Have fun, its only cards.
Gil