View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 10:49 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My last cross-over was from SGC to PSA and it dropped half a grade. I would have cracked it out instead but I was at the National and pressed for time to get it done.

What really cracks me up is the review process. Pay PSA a second time and they will admit they screwed up the first time. They don't even do a good job the first time...but I have to pay? My favorite crack and resub story is the PSA 2 1954 Bowman Maglie that I bought, cracked and sent in that came back a 7. Gorgeous card, FUBARed initial grading.

The services each have their own biases. An instructive episode would be the one I had at the last National. I bought a card from the second owner, a friend, who acquired it about 30 years ago from the original owner. He sent it to PSA and it was returned for minimum size. A stupid position, frankly, since it measured just fine. FWIW, minsize appears to be the PSA freak position: I have had cards straight from vending and packs rejected for minsize. Idiots. Anyway, I had some modern going to Beckett anyway, so I gave them the card. They rejected it as trimmed and sanded and beveled. Real whack-o conspiracy stuff. They readily slab trimmed (sheet cut) cards, so I am not exactly confident there. I then took it to SGC and they graded it a 2.5, which was fair for the card. Three TPGs, three opinions. All horse$hit IMO but that is how the modern card collecting biz goes. You want to play, you deal with the players.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-23-2016 at 10:53 AM.