View Single Post
Old 08-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Default Are Pre-War Baseball Cards "Solid" Investments?

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I sure wouldn't listen to me, because I know how my investment choices have done to date. And I recommend that you stop reading this post right now.

However, I believe that baseball cards have good potential as a long term investment. By long term, I am speaking on the scale of home ownership (a lifetime). Any 10-20 year period may exhibit a downturn.

In my estimation, the way to best address this is to commit a fixed level of investment in the baseball card marketplace every month, and do not vary that.

When your available cash improves, invest it elsewhere. Stick with this plan and you will average out the peaks and valleys, imho. Focus your buying on the segment of the prewar hobby which is least popular, at all times. For example, right now that could be r-cards (those ugly strips appear to be developing a following - I guess some gelt laden weirdos have joined the fray).

By buying the least popular issues you will obtain them at relatively favorable prices, and over a lifetime popularity will cycle. Don't be afraid to sell what is hot for what is not.

Tell me how you've done in 40 years or so. And I will sell you what is hot - probably pink sugared popcorn on a string.