View Single Post
Old 09-06-2015, 04:40 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Default 1949 Bowman "Blank Backs"????

Yesterday at our monthly card show I say hi to my dealer friend Mike who is still setting up, and he tells me he brought a "special box" that I might want to look at. Mike is a great guy and knows his stuff, but I rarely buy cards from him because his cards are in mostly nicer condition and priced accordingly. The "special box" included several 1963 Bazooka All Time greats (I did not buy), ten 1961 Golden Press cards including two Babe Ruths (I did buy these), a 1935 Goudy card I needed for my set (which I bought), and some "blank backed" 1949 baseball cards which he says are legit. There was also a reprint of some Caramel card
I break out my magnifying glass (I left my loupe in the car!!!!) and the cards look and feel real. I did a quick google search, and find a story that SGC had recently slabbed some 1949 Bowman blank back cards that were going off to auction. Mike gave me a “money-back” guarantee that they are real, and I bought them for $5 each. There are twelve cards total, all but two have names on the front, so I have determined which cards I have these numbers 75 91 146 149 159 166 167 169 178 199 200 212 all commons. Back in my car, under the loupe they look legit.
When I got home I compared the cards to those in my set and they are the same except Myron “Mike” McCormick the card in my set background is more of a mustard color. These do have the appearance of being “hand cut”. They look, feel, and smell real LOL! Some of the back cardboard is more of a grey some is more of a brown I think you can see this in the scan. Under the loupe, on some of the edges, you can see where the thin white paper of the card front ends, and you see a tiny sliver of just cardboard, you can see this on the left and lower edge of the Cecil "Tex" Hughson card. Also notice the top right edge of the Jeff Heath card where part of the thin white card front is torn but the cardboard underneath is perfect. Almost like the fronts were printed on thin paper, glued to the cardboard, and then hand-cut. LOL they sound fake! But I trust this dealer very much and he assured me a money back guarantee if not legit. Under the loupe the printing is an exact match with the cards in my set.
When I look at the thickness of the cards using the loupe, you can see the different paper from the card front attached to the cardboard, but I see the same thing on the cards in my set. The thickness of these "blank-backs" and the cards in my set appear to be the same.
Looking for feedback on these cards, and thanks
Larry
 photo Scan 81.jpg
 photo Scan 82.jpg

Last edited by LuckyLarry; 09-06-2015 at 05:27 AM.