View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Default Sports Summer 2007

Posted By: David Smith

The REAL problem for the NBA is that they have been investigating the Ref for over a year and did NOTHING about it. I wonder why?? Could it be they wanted to sweep it under the rug so OTHER things did come up to be investigated??

Things like the Golden State Warriors making it into the Play-Offs after 13 years and then beating the Dallas Mavericks in the First Round. Only the third time a n eighth seed has beaten a first seed. Also, I think GOlden State is trying for a new arena.

Or could it be things like the three teams with the WORST records getting Draft picks 4, 5 and 6 while Portland, Seattle and Atlanta get the first three? The SuperSonics have been trying to get the citizens of Seattle to pay for a new arena but they wont because they have already built new stadiums for the SeaHawks and Mariners. Getting the #2 pick helped the SuperSonics cause and they are again trying to get a new arena. If they don't, I am sure the number two pick will help them atrract interest from other cities (Oklahoma City?) where they might want to relocate to.

The NBA had a problem with their refs a few years ago when the refs were trading their first class airline tickets in for cheaper seats and then pocketing the money without claiming this on their tax forms. A couple of months ago, a study came out saying that NBA refs were more likely to call fouls on players of the opposite race then they were for players of their own race. Stern and the NBA said these studies were inaccurate.

If I were an NBA owner, I would be calling for Stern's and everybody else's head in the Home Office. When this thing blows up and networks and advertisers start cancelling their contracts, fans start rebelling and the lawsuits begin, the value of these franchises are going to plummet. Along with that, cities are going to be on the hook for construction bonds and some might not have enough revenue to covber the cost of interest. That is going to make it awfully hot for the elected officals of those towns.

I have been saying for over 10 years now that the NBA is rigged and few believed me. Now maybe some more people will. Hopefully Stern will be ousted, sued and jailed.

David