View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Christopher Williams

Default Roberto Clemente Signed Autographed Baseball Global Authentics

Here's an interesting item I found on Ebay. The auction has been removed, but I did save photographs from the auction.

The item is a Roberto Clemente autographed baseball. When I first opened it, I knew the Clemente autograph wasn't authentic, but something else caught my eye.

First, the photograph of the signed baseball.

Looks similar to the Clemente crap that is listed by Coach's Corner every month, but this one is authenticated by Global Authentics (Steve Sipe). Yes, Steve Sipe of Global Authentics authenticated this Roberto Clemente autograph. But it doesn't end at the autograph.

cris-1.jpg

As I scanned the photographs of the baseball, I noticed that someone had removed some markings underneath the Spalding label.

cris-3.JPG

I then contacted Brandon, our resident baseball expert, who identified the baseball as a 1974-1976 Feeney NL baseball. Below is what the baseball (without the markings removed) should look like. The photograph below was provided to me by Brandon.

brandon-feeney.jpg

Below are photographs of the COA and LOA of the baseball authenticated by Global Authentics. The LOA is signed by Steve Sipe and Bob Gryder.

cris-4.JPG

cris-5.JPG

Below is a photograph of the item description.

cris-6.jpg

Way to go Steve Sipe and Bob Gryder of Global Authentics. Even though I knew the Clemente autograph wasn't authentic when I first scanned the signature, but the fact that this particular baseball was produced between 1974 and 1976 proves that Mr. Clemente could not have signed that baseball. Roberto Clemente passed away December 31, 1972.

I would like to thank Brandon for his expertise in dating this baseball. A link to his website is below.

http://www.historyofthebaseball.com/

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 05-01-2012 at 04:38 PM.