View Single Post
Old 08-02-2023, 01:56 PM
J Stone

I dumped DISH a year ago when the price kept going up, they kept losing channels and the final straw was when they couldn't reach an agreement to broadcast local sports (owned by Comcast). Looked into Comcast and in order to get similar service was ~$100/month. It's been quite an adventure trying to figure this all out...here's what I suggest.

1) Make a list of the channels that you regularly watch including local sports and whatever networks they are on.

2) Go to CordCutting.com and compare the services there with what you watch. What they have listed there are the streaming equivalents of cable/satellite. Expect to pay $35/75 month for that kind of service. All have free trials so you can test, which I would recommend as they don't have great user interfaces like you might be used to.

Depending on channels, you might be able to piece together a bunch of free apps and cheap services and save a bunch of money, but be aware there is going to be a learning curve. It's no longer "just turn on the TV and watch". Some channels offer free old shows but you have to pay something for the newest content. Some, like History don't let you watch the new content unless you subscribe to a carrier.

As someone mentioned earlier you can get a digital antenna to get local stations. I got a "flattenna" from Channel Master (lightweight and can tape to a window) that works quite well, although I'm in a major metro area, YMMV.

It's a mess, to be honest. I've actually found I watch less TV now and by SO has pretty much gone completely to YouTube for entertainment.