View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Well Yes and No , the interesting thing is that on his VERY early signatures , Actually BEFORE 1913 , most notably one of his player contracts there is a very pronounced circle loop to finish the "g" in Young. Then later on even in the 1930's I see the straight vertical version and after that alternate versions of both the loop and the straight vertical drop in both the "y" in Cy and the "g" in Young.

Interesting sidenote after Cy Young's wife died he moved in to live with a neighboring family that was no relation. They had a young daughter named Ruth , She was still alive 20 + years ago as I spoke to her on the phone. She remembered Cy and looked at him almost like her own grandfather. She told me that as he got older any letters that needed to be written for him would be written by her or her mother and then signed by him.
I've seen some of those and they are clearly in a different feminine hand. But what she didn't admit too but I firmly believe is that toward the very, very end either her or her mother or both were responding to autograph requests and signing for him too. The "good news" is that those don't look anything like either of the authentic versions of his signature so they are easy to spot