View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 05:42 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
This was one of the greatest errors/misprints of my youth. Just reading this thread made me want to buy one...until I saw the prices on them. I then thought, "these must be obscenely rare if a 7.5 is selling for 5k." But a quick look at the pop reports show there are over 190 graded between psa and sgc (I hate finding bvg pop reports). That's not really rare enough to warrant these prices in my opinion. It's a really cool card, and it's "rare" for FOR THE ERA, but it's a bit steep FOR A POP 200+ card from 1990. But hell, if the market places it at 5k, then that's what it's worth. It's a great card of a great player.
IMHO, Orly, there were a lot of re-submissions in an attempt to get the highest possible grade and the pop report reflects this. Just my opinion, based on the fact that when it came out, it was devastatingly hard to find an example (I finally did in about 1993, paying $400 for an example that would be ExMt without the crease it bears). And I too adored Frank Thomas--the power to all fields in his 20's, the average, the walks--I never saw anyone go from 0 and 2 to three and two so very, very often. I would have adopted him if I could! I think that if you compare the frequency with which this card is seen to a gem mint 10 McGwire rookie (last time I looked--which is some time ago, admittedly--they were in the hundreds also), the McGwire in "10" is seen far more often than the NNOF Thomas in any grade.

So glad you got through Irma ok,

Larry