View Single Post
Old 07-20-2014, 07:51 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Al, I can prove that the yellow tiger is caused by some sort of masking error and the red ink. Would that make it qualify as an error, or variation? The red is absent from the yellow tiger, and make the appearance of his throat green on some cards, but the red tiger logo on his cap is still present. Also, some yellow tigers have a spot of red on the tongue, I'm guessing before the mask covered the tiger and throat entirely during the red ink process.

IMO it is only a matter of time before PSA recognizes this as prices are dictating there is two distinct cards. Where partial yellow, red tongue and the rest lie pricing wise, will be up to collectors.

I think this is as rare, and a much more interesting variation than the Campos as well as being clearly visible on the front of the card. I assume the number of the print run are close to the same, or slightly less for the House.

When the yellow tiger is listed with PSA, I don't believe they will add the Yellow gray back. There simply cannot be enough examples to prove the case for addition to the registry. However die hard collectors will regret not bidding higher when the last one came for sale on ebay. I decided against going after it as one of my comrades set a nuclear bid, and sometimes it isnt "right" to outbid certain someones. Morals, amazing I know!

As far as pricing, once it is added, it should be close to where the campos has settled, maybe with an initial spike. Many collectors have been scooping them up, but registry guys will always need the card for their "supersets", either raw or graded (Al)

Here is a close up of the splotchy red, on an orange tiger, most likely just before whatever happened... happened.

Here is an example of a lower grade one where the throat is green, more likely in the 500 range. Every once in a while one comes up on ebay and the biddig is strong, but if it isnt mentioned in the title, once in a while a deal can be had in the 300 range.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 07-20-2014 at 08:07 AM.