View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
The first Lefty Grove sig I ever bought was on a 3x5 and it looks almost exactly like the one you posted. Same pressure as well. I bought mine from RJ Jack Smalling back in the day. Jack Smalling was known for collecting a ton of sigs on 3x5s that he obtained through the mail. I believe most of his stuff was good...although he did sell a lot of secretarials.

But one thing I have noticed is that Lefty Grove did vary his signature a little bit throughout his career. Although, if I read your comment correctly, you're saying the sample posted on this thread is probably not authentic. I think it does look suspect....as do the rest of the sigs on that page.
Sure he did, but not like this. For that reason you would never buy it alone. And because there are so many other easily-researched fakes on this list, you have another reason for not buying it.

Any time I see an obvious fake, like the Grove, I try to find more examples on the internet. It gives clues as to where the forgeries are coming from. And if I find an authentic one that looks the same, it also keeps me from looking like an idiot.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but all the people who said this piece looks great, must think that the signatures look just like real ones they have seen in the past. But they don't, or we would be able to find exemplars that look like them, and we can't. I would love to see that 3 x 5 that you are sure looks like this one.