View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 05:48 PM
Larry

I think you could do quite well in either, but IMHO, I certainly would not put five figures into one of the endless stream of off-grade '52 Topps Mantles that hit the auction sites--there are simply too many of them (a PSA 7-9 might well be a different story, albeit with a much higher acquisition cost). There is a relatively simple formula which applies to most collectible fields with regard to appreciation, and I actively study cars, coins and cards. You want something that is rare and significant, and in the best condition you can find or afford. Condition is the easiest of the three factors to evaluate and educate yourself about--ascertaining the other two requires some devoted study. The Mick and any of his cards issued during his playing career are significant, so that element is not a problem. Personally, I would look for something like his '53-54 Briggs Meat card in as nice a condition as you can find (even if graded authentic, as I think most of them are, since it is hand-cut), or the '55 Exhibit Postcard back, which also has proven to be quite elusive over the last few years. Demand usually comes around in time to truly rare and significant items.

Good thread,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 04-27-2017 at 05:50 PM.