View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 05:57 AM

Default Doctored Cards / Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjc1983 View Post
I've never acquired and completed an entire post-war set entirely on my own from commons boxes, eBay, etc. but am considering it as something fun to do.

I'm less concerned with ending up with a doctored card as I am with ending up with a completely fake card or reprint ......

.....Just wondering how educated I need to be (from design, to card feel, to print dots) if I'm interested in doing this, and how y'all approach eBay sales where you can't touch or even closely see a card. If it's helpful, 56 Topps is what I'm considering. Thanks in advance.
You will always have issues with counterfeit high value cards in any set. However, for most post-war issues - I don't think you have to worry as much about Fake/Reprint cards as doctored or trimmed cards.....certainly not to the degree that pre-war collectors experience. Some of the pre-war fakes I see now are getting hard to spot - unless you have the card in hand. This is why most collectors will pay more to buy from a collector they know, has a generous return policy or is experienced in selling pre-war cards.

The real issue with most sets that are post-war, in my opinion, is buying trimmed or doctored cards. Trimmed cards are very difficult to spot with only a picture. And some issues, like 1971 Topps have black borders which often times are enhanced ie artificially blackened to obtain the perception of having a higher grade and then trimmed to take the color off of the edges. I imagine once it becomes economically viable to make good fakes on a wholesale basis - it will become a more pronounced problem.....but right now the issue of buying fakes or reprint cards of, say the 1956 Topps set, isn't a major issue.

Z

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 05-23-2016 at 09:01 AM.