View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
Thanks for the replies. Interested to see others chime in.

Blacking out the SSN information certainly seems to be the right thing to do, but on the other hand it's easy, for say a Mike Corkins W-2 but what about a Carl Yastrzemski fully executed contract? Both still living but one worth a couple of bucks and the other worth four figures.

While I totally agree in principle, I'm not sure I could run that marker over the Yaz document.
I definately agree. Common sense would have me believe that someone buying a Yaz contract for several thousand dollars in a major sports auction would likely not be doing it for the purpose of stealing his identity.

Speaking from personal experience, I own documents like we're discussing for focus players in my personal collection. I likely will not be selling these documents any time soon as I really enjoy owning them. The thought of ever exploiting this personal info would never cross my mind. If anything, I feel that on some level, that having a document in the hands of an advanced collector may actually protect the player from the possibilty of identity theft, if you follow my line of thinking. Would I like owning a contract less if this info were blacked out? Possibly, as it changes the way that the document existed prior to someone changing it from its original condition, IMHO. I'm sure others would possibly not view it this way, FWIW...

That being said, the world we live in today is a twisted place. If this personal info was available without requiring a huge expenditure of capital, cyber crooks would be all over it.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 07-29-2012 at 09:26 AM.