View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 10:46 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Any info on these being counterfeit would be greatly appreciated. Don't have any just trying to add a little knowledge. I did have a Joe DiMaggio Retirado and I could easily see it as being a fantasy card with the horrible picture quality. The one I had was in both SGC(X2) and PSA slabs.
Ryan and I have had extensive discussions about the 67's and what he means to say is that there is a growing belief within the hobby that they're not issued by Topps, that they're a pirated issue. I am of that belief. From a design standpoint (no borders, shitty picture quality) to the checklist (all the others follow a portion of the American Topps checklist exactly while the 67's have the retirado subset and also some players like bobby cox who were playing in Venezuela but not part of the American set) to the fact that there's more Spanish than you usually find in a Topps Venezuelan issue.... It just doesn't add up. Plus, starting in 1960, Topps issued Venies in even years: 1960, 62, 64, 66, 68. Why throw in 67? A lot doesn't make sense.