View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 01:14 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
+1

I live in Washington state. When Jeter announced his retirement, I realized I had never seen him live. So I bought tickets in February to his last home series in Seattle versus the Mariners. I'm not even a Yankees fan! I even took my toddler so he could say when he's 65 that he went to a Derek Jeter game (granted he can't remember it). We sat out in the section that is normally "King's Corner" with the Felix Hernandez fans. I'm not lying that I hardly saw a Mariner's jersey in that corner. We were surrounded by people who had New York accents. He is an icon. Biggest player of my generation. I doubt that will be the last Jeter card to hit that number. Mike Trout might be a better player, but unless he gets those WS rings, he won't compete with Jeter for legendary status.
I’m a life long Yankee fan, but I honestly have never drunk the kool-aid when it came to Jeter. Granted, he was a great player. However, in my mind, he was never better than the third best player on the Yankees for most of his career. I consider Mariano and Arod to be above him. I also thought that Jeter was somewhat selfish when he refused to move from shortstop when Arod, a better shortstop, came to the Yankees. I think mentioning him in the same breath as Brady and Jordan is absolutely crazy.