View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexautographs View Post
Profane language has no place on any forum. If the members can't agree to be civil, they can PM each other, and threaten to kill each other's dogs, or whatever....

None of you know me, except Jim, Shelly and Travis - but my credentials outside of this forum are, IMHO, well proven.

You good people have a choice:

a.) Tear each other to bits over whose authenticator is best, or;
b.) Work for the common good.

I obviously have my preferences, and have said so in the past. As well illustrated here, the more infighting there is here (ex: Travis vs. Zipper, for example), the less that will be accomplished - except to scare any potential collector out of the hobby altogether. Jim and Richard have their opinions, but I haven't seen them pile on.

I know both Travis and Richard only through their anti-fraud efforts. They are NOT anti-authenticators - they are anti-profiteers and anti-incompetence. Have they made mistakes? Of course. Have I made mistakes? Bunches. We admit them. The TPAs don't.

Yes, PSA/DNA make mistakes. Yes, Spence makes mistakes. The differences between them and auctioneers/dealers are:

a.) They authenticate in fields in which, I believe, they are not qualified to judge;
b.) I believe there is a great deal of favoritism towards big-time customers;
c.) They authenticate via scans, and guarantee (with money), nothing;
d.) There is no record of their revoking their approvals;
e.) They make no public rebuttals or statements whatsoever - and PSA is a publicly-held company.

Yes, they do the public good. But since they charge a hefty fee and are now market-makers, they must be held accountable for their authentications. And as I said, if they say it's bad, it's ruined, even if Derek signed it and wiped hi pen on your shirt.

Comments???
Someone should take a screen shot of this and save it for later because NO ONE has or could make this point any better or more clear. We don't need endless analogies, one sided Willies, or dog piling on the rabbit... NOW, the next time this subject comes up, maybe we can just re-post this and be done with it.....

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 08-20-2012 at 09:30 PM.