View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 04:19 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbpostcards View Post
1914 Babe Ruth-connected Boston Red Sox batting practice baseball postcard. The postcard is postmarked from Boston on July 11, 1914 at 5:30 p.m. At 10 a.m. that morning Babe Ruth arrived in Boston and pitched that afternoon in his first major league game. The left handed batter on the postcard's front is often described as Babe Ruth, but the postmark disproves that belief. Also shown is what to my eyes is the best looking Ruth card around. For more postcards, click the All The Photos link at http://www.sportingoregon.com/
Is that the earliest known date for one of those postcards?

Edited: disregard, searched and found the old thread: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...card+babe+ruth Never found a picture of Roscoe...he was a large, barrel chested, athletic man, with similar thighs, which is to say strong but not bulky...very much like the Babe. I remember playing what we called cup ball (balled up paper cup) beside the fields into the wee hours of the night and all of us running over to watch Roscoe hit. It was only slow pitch softball, but, although the team on which he played was top of the line, Roscoe was very much unlike the others. I specifically recall him hitting a ball just barely over the right-center fence, remember it like it just happened, and while it sounds unimpressive, let me add that the ball was struck on the top half and resulted in easily noticeable top spin. The ball was struggling to dive to the ground from the moment it left Roscoe's bat. Roscoe, long before the softball stuff, was a major prospect and, according to several people, took batting practice with a few teams before games. That postcard reminds me of Roscoe and how some people are obviously special and the Babe, long before he actually arrived to the show, was definitely known to have a mighty bat, one that was very uncommon at the time. Anyway, it's not him since there's no way he ever hit balls at Fenway before his major league debut.

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 07-11-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Added answer to my own question