View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Default Favorite Pre-1960 Obscure Player(s)

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Actually, Jodi, this forum is directed at collectors of pre-war baseball cards, as opposed to (hypothetically speaking) autographs of obscure baseball players. You can probably cut someone a little slack if they don't strictly adhere to the guidelines you've laid down in a non-card related thread on a non-autograph forum.

It would be like me asking someone to refrain from sarcasm in a thread that I started.

Even on this forum that is filled with baseball history geeks (like me), I still think there are more than a few HOFers that would qualify as "obscure" and merit inclusion in this thread. Or perhaps you'd like to tell us all about Ben Taylor or Frank Grant.

Anyway, it's an interesting topic and I don't mean to bash you for collecting autographs instead of cards. You've been one of the more consistent posters on the board since you joined and clearly have a passion for the game and its history. I tend to gravitate to more obscure players in my own collecting, so I like to hear about others with collecting interests (see Dan's post above) that are off the beaten path.

There are plenty of Cobb or Matty collectors around, but how many Ross Youngs or Elmer Flick collectors are there? HOFers? Yes. Still obscure.

So I guess that's my long-winded way of saying that in keeping with the spirit of the thread as you intended it, my answer is Win Mercer.

-Ryan