Thread: Aaron Judge
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 05:10 PM
Larry

I've changed my opinion on Aaron Judge. Watched him quite a bit last year, and he had holes on inside corner fastballs and sliders down and away, chasing the latter out of the zone and down into the dirt. After seeing him several times this year, it appears that he has moved back off the plate, taking advantage of his long arms, so that if a pitch appears inside, it almost certainly is, and he takes it instead of getting jammed or swinging and missing. Now, anything on the inside corner appears to him to be middle/in, or even middle/middle.

He's also far enough off the plate that he can't reach the slider in the lower, outside corner that he used to see as a fastball, and chase it into the dirt. For the most part (one exception last night), he knows he can't even reach it and lays off. If the pitcher hits that low outside corner now with a fastball, you simply tip your cap to him, as doing that is not so easy, and persisting in that attempt, unless the pitcher has really good command, is a very good way to get behind in the count. It's also a very tough pitch to do anything with in any event, unless you are Miguel Cabrera.

Last night, against Toronto, he hit a 450 foot homer over the centerfield fence, and didn't even have to swing that hard to do so. He is also a good fielder with a strong arm. I don't know that he will continue to hit .320 or .330 with 35-40 (or even more?) homeruns, but it does look like he is going to be very good, at this still very early point in his career. Also saw the interview with Eduardo Perez and this seems to be a very smart young man, understanding quite well the hitter-pitcher battle that is at the heart of the game, how they are trying to get him out, and willing and able to adjust.

I don't invest in such young phenoms until they have proved their worth and are in their mid to late 30's downslide, when demand has usually diminished, but he is definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Best of luck in your collecting,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 05-04-2017 at 05:14 PM.