View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Christopher Herman

Default Post-National Antique Shop Find: 1930 Bambino Tobacco Tin

Driving back to NYC this afternoon --- mildly disappointed that I couldn't find a nice T206 Cobby portrait (Sweet Cap, of course) at the National --- my wife and I stopped in the town of Hampden, MD for brunch and some browsing at the local antique shops.

Having not spent a dime --- literally --- at the National, I had cash in my pocket and vintage baseball card dreams in my head. At the last shop on the way back to the car, I spotted this 1930 Bambino Tobacco Tin in a glass display case (actual pic below).

The shop owner said it came from a local estate and that he knew they commanded a premium in rough shape and that since he judged this one to be in "very good" condition, he was asking $1850.00.

My wife quickly ushered me back to the car before I could even gauge his firmness on the price citing her feelings that I should stick to my T206 focus at this time and not get distracted by memorabilia --- which, she and I both know, is certainly not my forte.

On the drive home, I --- of course and mostly out of self-preservation --- thanked her for keeping me on my original collecting pathway but quietly lamented not looking further at this tin --- which would have fit in neatly with my collection of Babe Ruth strip cards.

Let the replies begin...
Was this a realistic asking/starting price for this tin?
How rare are these tins actually?
How many members here have been (successfully?) sidetracked into other genres of the hobby?

And probably most importantly...
Did I walk away from a great find that I will regret later?

Thanks for indulging me,
Christopher.

P.S.: (I was initially gonna post this in the memorabilia section but since it is sorta National related and brings up general collecting conundrums, I posted here). C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bambino.jpg (34.0 KB, 427 views)

My needs lists:
W514 strip cards
W515-2 strip cards