View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 06:07 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
It's generally thought to have been a nine-series set of cards, thirty-six cards in each series. Perhaps the confusion sets in when collectors introduce terms, such as low, semi-high and high to describe sequences in the numbering of the cards. The so-called "high-number series" is supposed to have started with the Mantle card as #253, however, as can be seen in this image of a partially cut 1951 Bowman sheet, Mantle was obviously not the first card on the sheet, and thus the high-number differentiation is an arbitrary standard, not imposed by Bowman or the Zabel Brothers printshop. Interesting speculative article on the 1951 Bowman printing sequence here: http://pjdenterprises.com/baseball_c...man_print.html
Pardon me, I have to correct the statement: "..Mantle was obviously not the first card on the sheet..". Mantle's card (#253) was the first card on this sheet (in the upper left corner).

This sheet includes the first group of Hi #s.... #253 - 288. It was mis-cut at the Zabel Bros. printing firm. Here are the card numbers of this mis-cut sheet......

#271 >> 279 (top row)
#280 >> 288 (2nd row)
#253 >> 261 (3rd row)
#262 >> 270 (4th row)

I collect uncut sheets, and all the other sheets of this group that I've seen are straight forward #253 >> 288.

TED Z