View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 05:18 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Great items Mike!

Really enjoying the thread. So the card I'm posting is on most Clemente Collectors (and many non Clemente collectors) want lists. Many have never seen one. Ironically the first time I saw a 1958 Kahn's Clemente was at the first Robert Morris show I set up at (2nd show that was ever run there). I was overwhelmed with the number of Clemente items - many of which at the time I had never seen. When a guy walked in and showed me his 58 Kahn's (in really nice condition) - it was just another Clemente card I hadn't seen yet. He wanted "full book" price on it (at the time I think $500-$600). He said if I wouldn't pay full book for it, I had no idea what I was looking at. Neither of us budged. He was right! It took years before I held another in my hands. I have been fortunate enough to have owned 3 of them (2 of them long ago sold to other collectors) in the last 30 years - the one pictured is far and away the best condition one I have had. As a beginning to understanding how tough this card is -PSA has graded 32 Kahn's Clemente's from 1957, 23 from 1959 (another tough card) and just 7 from 1958. I just googled "1958 Kahn's Clemente" and not 1 image of this card appeared (I did spot images of every other Clemente Kahn's issue. Definitely one of the highlights of my collection. I have never understood or heard speculation as to why this card (and the 58 set in general) is so much tougher than any other. Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 58-1.jpg (76.7 KB, 955 views)
File Type: jpg 58-2.jpg (73.5 KB, 960 views)