View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 10:34 AM
Todd Schultz

Default 60's and 70's raw craziness

I have been dabbling in post-war 60's and 70's unslabbed cards lately (actually spending more time and $$$ than I thought), and am bemused by the prices these cards are costing. This 1970 Frank Robby with hours left is already at $90.00, and the Palmer is at $78.00.

These are very nice cards, no doubt, but just sampling, I saw where a Palmer PSA 8 could be had for under $40, and a completed sale shows a PSA 8 Robby sold for under $50. Here the ungraded Robby is even off-center T/B, and the Palmer has a print smear down in the name block. Does someone (at least two bidders) think these would grade mint?

The phenomenon is not limited to 1970 cards either, which frankly are not the most popular and sought-after set. I just chose these to get a discussion going on whether others are seeing a noticeable bump in the price of high-condition raw cards from the 60's and early 70's. Seems a better option to just buy and crack PSA 8s if you want to build a nice set for a binder.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 01-04-2019 at 10:36 AM.