View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 11:17 AM
Todd Schultz

Well, sorry to rant again, but I may put my return to buying nice raw post-war cards on hold. GM had a nice 1967 Kaline a week or two ago, which mostly sells for under $100 in PSA 8 and has one sale at 8.5 for $155. My snipe didn't even register and the ungraded card sold for $193.50.

The kicker, though, was a high-number 1966 Dick Bertell. Nice but far from scarce and not so distinguishable from those in recent sales. The ungraded GM card sold for $115. This is about double what it sells for in PSA 9 MINT. Surely no one is buying in hopes of a 10?

I can see the odd card earning more when really well centered, especially if it is notoriously found off center, and likewise for cards usually subject to print dots or snow. But c'mon man. This is just nuts and I'm not cherry picking sales to make my point, unless everyone just happens to want the same cards that I bid.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 01-19-2019 at 11:21 AM.