Thread: PSA Vs. SGC
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 02:21 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer77 View Post
Does anyone here think SGC will ever close the gap with PSA? I buy PSA graded but submit with SGC do to the price of grading.
I hope they do because I think they are the better company in terms of presentation of their product, and their customer service. But I would not hold my breath. PSA got up a huge head of steam in their marketing and "desirability" early due to the introduction of the registry. The fact that they are inconsistent (tough on cards in the 1990's - easier - noticeably on vintage - in the early 2000's. Slowly tougher on everything in the early 2010's. Really and in some cases ridiculously tough on vintage after 2015...) doesn't seem to matter for whatever reason in terms of popularity and the prices their cards bring. Also they had a lot of press and publicity over grading the Gretzky Wagner back 20+ years ago - and yes, although they blew it - nobody really cared.

SGC if nothing else will maintain an even keel due to their popularity with prewar collectors and the fact that if not #1, people know they are a solid company with a good rep - and they are not hated like Beckett among vintage collectors.

Last edited by jchcollins; 03-25-2019 at 02:23 PM.