View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 06:56 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by supplex55 View Post
I recently posted my 1959 Bazooka set on imageevent.com. It took me almost 20 years to complete, with the Groza being the last card to finish the set. I had to borrow 600.00 from my Dad in the 1996 to purchase it as I had just returned from the National Sports Collector's Convention in fruitless pursuit of finishing the set (but spending my last dollar anyway), and a letter arrived from Don Niemi telling me he had one! According to Don, he felt the Groza was the toughest in the set and that there were less than 15 or so in existence (don't know how he came by those numbers). He also said he felt it was one of the 5 rarest football cards in the hobby.
http://imageevent.com/supplex55/1959bazookafootballset
Great set and images!

The 1959 Bazooka set is one of my favorites. They are just beautiful cards. I would say at this point, though, that the Groza is not one of the 5 rarest football cards in the hobby as so many oddball and obscure sets have been identified since Don told you that decades ago. It is still a very difficult card to find, though. I've been trying to upgrade mine for years without any luck. Same for Tom Tracy.

jeff