View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 07:31 PM

Great topic! as ive struggled with this same question for many years. my two cents is, that buying autographs is like buying a brand new car, once you buy it it pretty much loses value. what i mean buy this is how many collectors bought a signed card for one price and then sold it for maybe half on ebay years later? yes, there are exception to the rule of course, but i venture to say that most people dont get back what they put into an item.

secondly, i always struggle with, why buy something and just stick it in a box or album and not look at it for months or even years, seems silly to me.

lately i started thinking,well, we came into the world with nothing, and it is certain that we cant take anything with us, so why buy all these great cards and collectibles if we just have to leave them to someone else that might not want them or might not want to deal with them.

I started selling some stuff and to be honest I kind of like the money in my pocket instead of the items!!!! its nice to buy stuff like a watch, a tv, rims for my cars, a new couch, with the money instead of buying an al kaline autograph or a tom seaver autograph. nice to pay for a nice vegas trip instead of a willie mays or ted williams autograph, nice to buy a new bicycle instead of a hank aaron autograph, nice to buy a nice sewing machine for my wife instead of a eddie mathews autograph, you get the point!

after thinking of all of this, then i start thinking from time to time, how cool it is to buy autographs! so its a roller coaster, up and down, yes and no.i like to collect, i dont like to collect, i like the money, i like the cards..a very tough question indeed!