View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Mikeknapp

I just finished reading Jane Leavy's The Last Boy. At the risk of sounding like a heretic, I have never understood collectors fascination with Mantle. Don't get me wrong I have a number of items related to Mantle myself to include cards, autographs, figurines, and magazines with him on the cover, etc. Although I realize his significance to the game I don't get why he is held in such high esteem. I don't think he can be considered in the same class as or Aaron as a player or Clemente as a man. I began collecting in 1970 at age 7 so I obviously missed seeing him play. My father is of the generation that enjoyed watching him play and although he is a die hard Yankee hater he professes a love for Mantle to this day. When I ask him about it he says, "You have to have been there to know what he meant to people that watched him." I often wonder what his significance would have been if he played in Milwaukee or Pittsburgh rather than New York. When I read the rehashed stories of his exploits off the field and his battles with injury and alcoholism I don't see nobility. Instead I see a player who never fully developed his God given talent. He appears to be a more of cautionary tale. I don't mean to sound derogatory or minimize his impact and the passion others feel about him. However, the fascination he evokes in fans and collectors has always been more interesting to me than the man himself. Perhaps a Mantle fan out there can help me understand what I am missing?