View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
"Ozzie-one dimensional- great fielder who couldn't hit even on the astro-concrete field in St Louis"

Ummm...I'm certainly not a Cardinals fan or an Ozzie fan, but calling Ozzie Smith one dimensional is just mis-informed...Nearly 2,500 hits and almost 600 stolen bases, PLUS 13 (?) Gold Gloves.

If we're taking guys who were one dimensional, don't you have to start the conversation with someone like Ray Schalk (.253 hitter with fewer than 250 extra-base hits in 18 seasons)?

i knew the ozzie smith apologists would jump on this. (i know you state that you are not an ozzie fan) my point was that he is only known for his defense-hence one dimensional. a statement agreed with by your INCLUSION of the gold glove awards in your statement. 2500 hits or thereabouts has been accomplished by plenty of major leaguers who are deemed UNWORTHY of the HOF. If that is a milestone then Garvey, Oliver, Baines, etc should be in the HOF. Personally, i have no regard for the stolen base as a stat but that is just me. I just see Ozzie as the most overrated position player of all time. he only garnered admirers through his ability to make those stupid back flips on This Week In Baseball in every 80's episode and the media lapdogs eating it up and shoving it down our throats. this is seen in his unbelievable induction on the first ballot. the voting on the first ballot should be reserved for immortals like cobb. ruth, mantle, ted williams etc. it is not for players like Ozzie Smith. i still contend that both Trammell and Larkin deserve HOF induction and Smith should be OUT.