View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 03:08 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The OP list is pretty much consistent with what I've seen over the years. I might quibble here and there, perhaps add Sugar Ray Leonard to the top ten and drop Willie Pep out of there, but it is pretty strong.

SRR is definitely the GOAT. No one else has the breadth of accomplishments and length of highest level achievements.

Homicide Hank at one point held the lightweight (135) and welterweight (147) championships at the same time. And he started as a featherweight...Just remarkable.

I rank Louis a hair better than Ali so I'd change their places, but I wouldn't quibble.

Harry Greb I hadda look it up: he had 298 fights...yup, 298. He fought 46 bouts against HOFers.

The guy I'm surprised not to see anywhere on the list: Emile Griffith. 339 championship rounds fought.

As for rookie cards, sam, you just have to do your homework, make a choice, and be ready for a new discovery that moves the date back. Definitely not as clear cut as modern baseball, but we've always had debates, even in baseball, as to older players. 1925 Exhibit Gehrig or later card from a different set? And so on.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...