View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Default Open letter to STAT and Christopher Morales

Posted By: <b>Mark</b><p>I agree with Dan, that the majority of Coach's Corner Bidders are just uneducated and don't know a real autograph from a fake. They see these items featured in a major publication, and make the assumption that they must be authentic. They are "trusting souls" and simply believe what they WANT to believe. It is hard to envision so many people still falling into this category, but many just don't devote the time to educate themselves.<br /><br />But I believe there are 3 other contingents of bidders as well... <br /><br />A nominal percentage of these bidders probably think they are getting a "steal" and that they are turned on to this rather "obscure" auction house in which they can get much better deals than through the giant, overly publized Mastros, Lelands and REAs of the world. There is an assumption of exclusivity and a "greed factor" among this group.<br /><br />Collectors new to the hobby are more likely to bid in a CC Auction. They have not yet figured out that STAT is a sham. I have heard many stories from seasoned collectors, and how they got burned early in their collecting "careers". I think most of us have had similar learning experiences early-on.<br /><br />Finally, I know there are some who are purchasing these, knowing they are bad, and with the intention of re-selling them. These people have ways to peddle these pieces, and get big money in return. I recently took a trip to Las Vegas, and saw dozens of bogus pieces in a "Field of Dreams" type store on the strip. These autographs were nearly identical to the CC offerings, and were selling at HUGE prices. These may have even originated from Coach's Corner.... not even close to appearing authentic.<br /><br /><br />