View Single Post
Old 06-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Default Vintage cards as investments

Posted By: Bob

Pre-war mid grade cards continue to be a very good investment. Over the last 15 years I have completed sets, sold them for a profit and plowed the money back in to more card sets. I've sold 2 T207 sets, for example, and have one in the safe. The current T207 set was paid for completely with the profits generated from the first two sets. While I won't rank up there with the guys who can toss 10k+ for a single card, steady collecting, trying to buy low and sell high with mid grade cards is the way for the average collector to go. Besides, if the cards suddenly have zero value, I still have a bunch of beautiful card sets which I love. If they retain their value or go up (almost all have), I have a nice nest egg. The only time I go after the high graded cards is when I need a particular card for a set, otherwise mid-grade cards with nice images and eye appeal are fine with me.
I understand why some collectors think it is great to have a PSA 6 E90-1 Joe Jackson, and how much the up-side is, but the down side is kind of scarey to Joe Collector.
Probably not what some of you want to hear but there is steady growth in the vg and vgex pre-war cards and although the upside is not as great, the down side is not too much either.
Just my 2 cents