View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Default Displaying your collections

Posted By: Dan Paradis

There was a thread to "show your displays" a few months ago. I've updated mine quite a bit since then. I had so many questions in my recent response to Peter C's "Graded card display" thread I decided to start a new thread to answer the many questions.

First, thanks for the interest. When we have guests over we get comments like "What's new in the Baseball Museum". It's nice to hear, but nobody really knows what they are looking at. Comments from the experts in this forum are even more appreciated (even negative ones).

I started collecting MLB HOF rookie cards two years ago. I bought my first card (Koufax RC) in Sarasota just for the heck of it. I somehow decided it would be fun to try and get a RC for every MLB HOF'er. I had no idea what I was getting into (determining pre-war RC, the expense, etc.). For the pre-war RC I get as close as I can get (i.e. sometimes choosing Fan Craze over E107 due to the cost). I've bought most of the cards on EBAY. However, I've been to Reading, Hofstra and the recent National in Cleveland. Obviously I have the full support of my wife. She even gets upset if I sell a card!!

So here goes. The room is a family room in my basement. It is arranged in order by era (starting with pre-1900) and goes around to the present. I also decided to have displays for the 300 win, 3000 hit and 500 HR club. In some cases I have to get more than one card (i.e. Hank Aaron: 500 HR, 3000 hit and HOF'er, so I need 3 of his cards). I also have a room dedicated just to the Red Sox, the NFL HOF and the NBA HOF, none of them are as far along as the MLB HOF room.

Oh, for the most part I'm displaying real cards (yes, I have insurance). However, some of the more expensive cards are copies (E107 Nap Lajoie, Mantle, Mays RC). I bought some of the display stands on EBAY (sorry, can't remember the companies name). We custom built most the display cases and installed lighting for each. Each case also is hooked up to a 24x7 burglar alarm and there is recorded video in and out of the room. I have a home automation system that makes it easy to set the display lighting (it also automatically plays baseball related stories and music with the touch of a button).

I am also getting a custom painting to display as you enter the room (HOF theme). It is not done yet, I displayed it as it stands now at the end of this thread.

I hope you all enjoy the photo's! If you are ever in the CT area, you are welcome to visit.

Dan

When you first enter the room it starts with Pre 1900. The pictures to the left of the card display are just copies. When I learn more about what to look for I will try and get real pictures. The table contains 1950's stuff which will be replaced someday!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Next I display MLB RC for 1900-1919. The openings in the case are for players I either don't have yet or for players who are in another case (i.e. Honus Wagner is in the 3000 hit case). And yes, Peter C, someday I'd like to have all these cards graded by one grading company.

The next display case is for 1920-1929. It works out well because of the various sizes for these cards.

Next is 1930 - 1949. There is one card in there from the 1950's (Ted Williams, his RC is in the 500HR club case).

OK, 1950's to the present (some future HOF'ers also).

More possible future HOF'ers...

300 Win Club (missing a couple):

3000 Hit Club (Bonds is waiting):

500 HR Club (it hurt to put Bonds, Palmeiro, etc) ahead of my childhood hero's):

Other Displays:

Room Display:

Painting in process (it will be displayed as you walk down stairs):

Some of the displays from my office (the Red Sox room, NO Yankee stuff allowed unless it is a picture of someone with a catchers mitt in their face):