View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexsHeroes View Post

Chris,

My autograph collecting is similar, in that I focus primarily on one team (Detroit Tigers, 1900-1945). Since you're not limiting yourself to just 3x5's or single-signed items, team signed sheets, album pages, and GPC are a great way to go.

One suggestion: become familiar with which autographs are more difficult to locate, and educate yourself with what other teams (beside Philadelphia) those "tough" ballplayers played for. You never know when you might have the opportunity to pick up a tough autograph because it just happens to be on (lets assume) a St. Louis Browns team signed album page. Such an opportunity arose for me when I acquired a Charlie O'Leary autograph on a minor league team signed album page. No mention was made of his prior service with either Detroit, or 1927 N.Y. Yankees. Obviously, this item flew under the radar for many collectors. Best of luck.
Thanks for the tip. I am actually pretty openminded about doing what you suggested. I think it would be interesting to get unique signed items from other teams that connect to the A's through one or two players. That way there will be sort of a spider web feel to the collection with the Philadelphia A's at the center.