View Single Post
Old 06-24-2018, 10:19 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
As a small business owner, so far, I want to see how this plays out. There should have already been taxes being collected on many items. A lot of my ebay stuff has sales tax added. All (or almost all) of my Amazon purchases do.

This law could help the small, especially brick and mortar businesses, who get hurt by the current law. We shall see. I am generally never in favor of new taxes otherwise.
I agree with all except the last sentence: this is not the enactment of a new tax. This is a court ruling overturning a prior court ruling that banned the enforcement of an existing tax. Nor does it inflict a new burden on the buyer. If your state collects sales tax you are supposed to pay a corresponding use tax on anything you bring into the state untaxed. It is supposed to equalize the playing field for local businesses. Fact is, most people don't bother to pay the use tax, they just blow it off, so it feels like a new tax. But it isn't.

Where the real new tax will come is when Congress enacts a value added tax (VAT) on each level of sale, which exists in virtually all other Western nations.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...