View Single Post
Old 03-17-2021, 06:19 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default 1967 Laughlin - what in the highness of heck is going on here????

Okay, I ran across this card on Amazon and was thrown for a loop.* Notice anything??
Instead of saying "1967 Laughlin" on the label with the World Series teams and year specified, it actually says "1968 Laugh-In." Yes, Laugh-In...

1968laugh-in53larsen.jpg

Here's what a real 1967 Laughlin (reprint/later printing version) looks like...

1968laughlin53larsen.jpg

But to add further strangeness to all of this is that I have never seen that type of back on this card. It follows the same general layout and color scheme, but the fonts are different (and bolder), there is a star added and it has a 1968, not 1967, copyright date. (I sure hope Marty reads this) Were there other reprints/updates/etc. that changed the backs and had a 1968 copyright added? I'm a big collector of these guys, and this is a first for me. (Watch, everyone is going to say, "What are you talking about? ALL of mine look like that." )

Here's what an actual 1968 Laugh-In card #53 looks like (perhaps they began adding 'Necklace' later on?)...

1968laugh-in53necklace.jpg

So, the obvious assumption is that PSA put the wrong label on the slab, and it slipped through QC, correct?? It's a very low cost card (with or without the address on back), so putting in the time and effort to create a forgery would be tantamount to forging a single one dollar bill. Anyone have these cards with the 1968 back? And/or if you have a graded version of this card with the 1968 back, is it labeled as 1967?

Insight welcomed and appreciated.

*The normal thing to do would be to contact the seller and see if he'd provide some info, but his feedback is pretty frickin' rotten, so I'm going to avoid that route for the time being.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.