View Single Post
Old 06-16-2023, 01:39 PM
James M.

Tony,

Welcome to the world of collecting Mantle. The good news is, many copies of his issues are constantly being put up for sale or for auction. I think you could pretty much go to any card show, whether it be a tiny local show, or The National and you'd be able to find many Mantles from all different years. The Mick's popularity has only grown with each passing year, and he is worshiped like a God by collectors, some of which, myself included, weren't even alive to see him play. I was regaled with stories of The Commerce Comet when I was a boy.

His 1953 Topps issue in a PSA 6, seems to be selling anywhere between 10K-11.5K. I feel like if that is the card you truly want, then that's what you should spend your money on. I would caution becoming obsessed with the number grade though, as many of us have seen, there are plenty of lower grade cards that look much better than the actual card grade. I have always been more of an "Eye Appeal" person, following the motto of "Buy the card, not the grade" but approach this anyway that you like. You could easily be able to afford both the 1953 Topps and the 1952 Bowman, should you explore the lower grade avenue.

Now since every thread needs a card below are two of the cards you mentioned. The Berk Ross and 1952 Bowman. I love my Berk Ross, and bought it before the recent run up of the issue.Have a great day!

- James

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.