View Single Post
Old 12-27-2019, 10:25 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan View Post
After watching MikeD's venture into set building, I've decided to start my next project: a 1957 Topps set. I had zero, none, no cards prior to today. I traded for these 3 today. The Boyer RC came in a trade for some Rangers RCs and a couple of extra Trout inserts at the LCS while the Hyde and Spahn were obtained in a trade with a friend that also collects and lives just down the road. I traded some of my extra 1962 Topps to him, and I got the Spahn in return.

Anyway, I'll post as I pick them up. Right now, I have 3 cards from the set. I will probably chase Mantle next to get it out of the way (plus, if I ever want to give up or go a different direction, I'll have the key card to move).

But here's the start. I'll be looking for additional cards from the set whether through here or buying on ebay. Thanks for the look.

I have very mixed thoughts on this set. It was the first Topps set I completed, and the design is a classic. Some of the poses are great, and the amount of hall of famers is impressive. On the other hand, the photograph quality is far below 1953 Bowman, and Topps clearly decided to try and cut costs after killing off Bowman and becoming the only game in town. Probably my favorite of their smaller physical size sets though and very fun set to put together, as the SP series really is not that tough. The Brooks Robinson card is harder to fill in than Mantle in low-mid grade sets, no matter what the price guides say. Frank Robinson's rookie still feels like a bargain to me. The Schoendienst pose is my favorite in the set.

If you are not condition conscious, pm me your address and I will send you a few of my dupes (Good - VG range) free.